Powered By Blogger

Thursday 7 October 2010

Magazine Research

For my magazine research I asked students what they would like to see in a college magazine. The answers they gave were as expected, and gave me a few hypothetical ideas such as; breaking up the magazine into subject group areas (e.g. the arts), displaying public information such as bus timetables, and lists of job opportunities, and exploring creative ideas, such as cooking.
Below is my questionnaire with some of the answers I was given:

  1. Would subject specific areas of a magazine make it easier to navigate around it?
·  Yes because I could find the types of things I am interested in.
·  I wouldn’t mind because I am interested in a lot of different things.
·  Yes, I would find my way around the magazine more easily.


  1. Would you be interested in knowing about City events as well as CCN?
·  Yes because I never know what’s going on.
·  I wouldn’t find it useful because I don’t do activities outside school.
·  It could be useful to some people.
·  Yes because I like going to events outside school.


  1. Would you find it useful to have food place alternatives listed?
·  Yes college food is too expensive.
·  I would like to eat somewhere cheaper but I wouldn’t want to go into Norwich for it.
·  No, I bring my own food.
·  Yes I can’t afford college food everyday.
·  I am bored with the food I bring in.

  1. Would a map of Norwich be useful?
·  No, I live in Norwich.
·  Depends on what places it show.
·  I don’t need a map for Norwich.
·  I just moved so I would find a map useful.

  1. Would you benefit from a list of upcoming trips, (subject specific)?
·  I get all my information from class.
·  I don’t go on trips with schools.
·  I wouldn’t need to know what trips were happening.
·  Reminders might be useful but trips information; we can get elsewhere.

  1. Would music information (charts) interest you?
·  Yes, I like to keep up with music.
·  Yes but not a lot of information, just a column or half page.
·  If it was up to date then yes.
·  No I don’t really care about the charts.
·  It isn’t relevant to me.


  1. Would you be interested in student artwork displays?
·  No I’m not interested in art.
·  I do art so the ideas might help me.
·  I like looking at other people’s artwork but I don’t do art.
·  I think it would be a good way to advertise new artists to universities.
·  I might flick through it but I wouldn’t go to it first.

  1. Would you find revision ideas helpful; techniques, plans, timetables?
·  No we get a lot of help in class.
·  Yes I don’t get enough help in lessons.
·  If it was relevant I might look at it.
·  Any extra help is useful.


After the questionnaire I have decided on which ideas to scrap; I will change the map of Norwich to focus on key study areas such as the Museums, libraries, book stores and public information centres. The ideas I did come up with from this questionnaire were as follows;

Film/Theatre; reviews, cinema times, new releases, cast lists, awards
Cooking; recipes
TV; reviews, listings
News; local, worldwide
Art; exhibitions (Sainsbury Centre, Art College, UEA, Blickling Hall)
Photography; students work, local artists
Norwich City Centre; restaurants, shops, travel links, holiday events
Shops map/new shops/sale information
Places to eat – coffee shops, restaurants, fast food, convenience stores
General information; college opening times, shop opening times, phone numbers, email addresses; tutors, teachers, offices
(College) calendar; events, holidays, term times, trips
Music; reviews, release dates, chart update, awards
Bus timetables

And the hypothetical subject groups in the magazine would be;

                        - Drama, P.E and Arts
                        - English, Media
                        - Psychology, Sociology, Science and Maths
                        - Environmental Studies, Geography, History, Politics, R.E

Centre Number 18125

 

No comments:

Post a Comment